Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cry For Help

This is my first blog post....ever. Bear with me. I have decided to begin blogging to gain support and receive constructive criticism from everyone and anyone as I push through my last year at school. I am at the Art Institute of Seattle majoring in graphic design, and it has been a serious struggle to make it this far.

This is where I kindly ask for your help. My first class of the quarter, Portfolio II, was yesterday. Starting on Monday the 25th I have one project due every Monday for 8 weeks after that. I need as many eyes to see my work as possible before I present it all to the panel on week 10. If I receive a conditional, I have ONE week to fix it and turn it back in. In a perfect world I would not receive any conditionals, but hopefully with all your eyes I can minimize how many I get. Here are a few pieces from Portfolio I that I will present along with my Portfolio II work to the panel. New stuff to come soon, I'm almost done with my first project for this quarter.


This is an article in Edible Seattle about a local bakery called Sugar Shack. The assignment was to use type in an innovative and experimental way. I found my inspiration from Steven Sagmeister for this piece and had a ton of fun with it.
Kaleidoscope Professional Landscaping is a Seattle based landscaping company. The assignment was to come up with a new logo and 5 pieces of collateral (I despise creating logos). The top logo is my creation, the bottom is their existing logo. In Portfolio II, this logo will be used again along with a graphic standards style guide (rules of logo usage basically). We had to apply an illustration to something informative. I found a profile I had drawn in an old sketchbook and thought it would be appropriate for a Human Rights conference. Thoughts on layout? It's only 8.5x11 and meant to get tacked up around the college campus.

5 comments:

  1. The human rights poster is really well done. My only question is the color and size of the text at the bottom. Maybe make "Human Rights" even bigger? It's just small enough that someone walking by might see the face but not be close enough to read the text, despite their eyes being drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the sugar shack design is GREAT! really eye catching and clever. the "by tim lee" is somewhat hard to read though. what if you made it the same color as the dough? kind of kills the realism though, which is a bummer.

    i agree with kyle about the human rights poster. the text size could work if the image told the story on its own, but as it is, it's somewhat ambiguous. copy should probably be bigger somehow.

    best of luck with your last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I still LOVE the dough "T" that begins the article. That might be my favorite thing on the page, actually.

    On the Kaleidoscope logo, it's definitely an improvement - the text layout, color, and style in particular - but the tree is a bit, jarring. It's close, but needs tweaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the first two designs are great as-is, but I think the third could use some work if it's supposed to be a poster. I've attempted to be as nit-picky as possible. Take the following comments more as musings than suggestions:

    I love the Sugar Shack article design! I think you nailed the goal, but I have a couple comments on less noticeable aspects of the layout. Have your tried a bit more of an indent? The copy seems pretty dense with only a hint of breather between paragraphs. The two m-dashes in the third column line up a bit too perfectly. My eyes go straight to the hole in the text it creates. The main elements, are spot-on. Really, really nice work.

    The Kaleidoscope logo is a huge improvement. I like how you've used earth tones and a simple, natural accent. I would definitely remember the business' logo and what it stands for. If anything were to change I would play with the curve and the thickness of the "I" so it looks less like two words... I don't know. I would be curious to see what it would look like if the trunk branched at the bottom with a curve to the right and the left, joining both halves of the word. It could also give a subtle hint of roots and stability so the tree doesn't feel like it's floating in the middle of the word.

    On the poster, I think this needs a big change. If you invert the colors, I think you'll notice a dramatic and striking improvement. Having the negative of the image with white words on a dark background is a bit more attention-grabbing and powerful, especially given the type of event. If this is a poster hanging around campus, the important details should at least be big enough to read from a couple feet away. As is, I think the sizing is more appropriate for a program cover than a poster. Just something to consider...

    I hope these comments are helpful. You do really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very cool!

    My only suggestion might be that the letters in Kaleidoscope be positioned closer together. Right now it's difficult for my brain to envision what the tree is support to represent without studying the word because each letter appears very independently of one another.

    Baking thing - Very cute!!
    HR Poster - Agree with Kyle, but great sketch!

    P.S. Don't get discouraged about the whole career thing. You're good at this and you'll find a place that needs your skills in a way you couldn't possibly imagine. ;)

    ReplyDelete